Places 2 Visit

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Zipper Pouch Tutorial from a beginner





I mentioned in a previous blog that I took sewing classes in middle school and even though
I didn't like the class; learning how to thread a sewing machine was probably the best things I have learned from that class. I recently purchased a Brothers Sewing Machine and it really was like riding a bike. I knew exactly how to thread it. The bobbin and everything, one of my recent orders a client purchased a couple of beautiful rings and I needed a way of shipping them without having to order boxes.
So, I searched the net and found a really cool tutorial on how to make pouches. My son’s jeans are no longer fitting him, so I used his old jeans and old tee-shirt for the lining.
It worked perfectly…
I made no reference to the bag when I sent it…once she received her rings she sent me a personal note thanking me for the lovely pouch.
Receiving that email made me feel good, because it’s little details like that, making of the pouch that makes a person not just a customer but a long term client.
Well not to get off track but today I made this nice zipper pencil pocket.
 It has been over 20 years; since I made anything with a zipper, but I was determined that I was going to find a simple tutorial on installing a zippers, and I did here and here…
So I am sharing with you my sewing skills or lack thereof …
So be kind… “I am an artist and I am sensitive about my shit!”


Peace Love and Olive Oil Yaw’l
Tomingo
 What I used:
2  4.5X12.50 
1 Felt 9x12 
10" Zipper (nylon)
needles
sewing machine
music






 I like going to hobby lobby and picking up some fat quarters
measure out 2
 cut your felt in half

Sew straight down your fabrics

Then sew straight across the top







  Pen the other side to the top of the zipper sew across. Then down



Make sure seams of matches the zipper seam.
Sew down
Open your zipper a bit, so that you can turn the piece inside out
once you are done sewing.







Seams and Zipper Centered
Once all sewed up turn inside out...

Now you have this!!


Practice makes perfect.
 I will defiantly make a few more.
I have a baby shower to attend and I think this will be a nice gift for the mom to be.
Different colors and I will line it next time.
Do I hear another blog??
Thanks for stopping by.






1 comment:

flytie said...

it looks great! thanks for the tutorial.

i can put zippers in clothes all day long, but for some reason i'm so intimidated by putting them in bags/pouches. i did make a bag with a zipper several months ago, and while it's not terrible, it could be better. i'm gonna do this, because i like little puches, coin purses, and things of that nature.

Quotes

Show me someone who never makes a mistake and I'll show you someone who never does anything.