Places 2 Visit

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Traction Alopecia-To Weave or Not to Weave that is the......





Posing for a photo-shoot for designer Dennis Basso in New York’s trendy Meatpacking District this week (summer of 2009), Naomi Campbell revealed startling bald patches either side of her head.
As the 40-year-old pulled back her hair while a stylist adjusted her clothing, she revealed a vanishing hairline just above her ear.



I ran across some picture of Naomi Campbell and by now you have probably seen them… what she may be suffering from Traction Alopecia. Traction Alopecia is Loss of hair due to from prolonged pulling on the hair, usually associated with certain hairstyles or a habit of twisting the hair. This is usually common with ethnic females due the prolong expose to using weaves, braids and glues on our hair. 

The more I view these pictures and many like them, the more I am so happy with my decision to go natural over a year and a half ago.

I really can not image for the rest of my life, relaxing, texturizing or/and having to worry about the prolong usage of synthetic hair.

Just before I went natural I notice thinning around my hair line. In just the short time I wore weaves, and braids. As you can see in the picture there were a few thinning areas on my head.


However, my edges have now thickened up and I no longer have thinning or a receding hair line.
I will even venture out to say that I also believe that not only was the prolong hair weaves making Naomi lose her hair; it’s the usage of relaxers as well. 
Relaxers not only damage your hair follicles it makes it weak and lifeless.  
                              In my opinion there is no “safe way” to relax your hair.


In her defense it’s not just Naomi Campbell that is suffering from this other celebrities including Paris Hilton, Victoria Beckham and Britney Spears have also experienced 
Traction Alopecia…











No comments:

Quotes

Show me someone who never makes a mistake and I'll show you someone who never does anything.