Places 2 Visit

Friday, January 25, 2013

The Blacker the Berry...Plant Based Diet


In an interview Mike Tyson said he wishes was born a vegan.
 Not until I decided to change my eating habits and that of my family. That I truly appreciate and understand that statement.

Choosing a plant based diet is one of the best things I could have done for me and my family. 
What I am learning about this chapter in my life is that, it forcing me to read labels, and prepare meals differently.
It’s a challenge that I think many of us, are afraid to do. 
And many are not making enough time
In preparing our family meals, we would rather have it already chopped, cut up and seasoned.


In the past few years,
 I’ve notice in the produce department, chopped onions, precut celery and other foods that takes not more than 5 minutes to do.


And why are there fat poor people, and why are prisoners that are doing hard time 
I.E. death row inmates or long termers, more than 20 years, are dying from the same diseases found on the outside:
 Among prisoner deaths from 2001 to 2010, cancer and heart disease together accounted for about half of all illness-related deaths…

We are spending a lot of time sitting and not moving…
we sit behind computers, we are sitting in our cars commuting back and forward to work,
school, and activities…
Most of the walking most people are doing is from the parking lot to their car. Our life style does not match the food intact most people consume and that is why so many are unhealthy, and  dying.
But I digress....



~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Purple Potatoes...

"The blacker the berry the sweeter the juice."

That's a statement I've heard more than once in my life.
And there is a lot of truth to it!
Through my research I've discovered that
most of the darker plants are filled with the most 
anti-everything...

Here are some interesting  facts about Purple Potatoes:
Blue or purple varieties have an additional benefit in that they contain more and higher levels of flavonoids. 
Flavonoids are compounds which are found in the color pigments of fruits and vegetables. They provide us with antioxidant protection against chronic disease.
 In one study the University of Oslo in Norway found blue potatoes to have more than double the level of antioxidant rich flavonoids than either white fleshed or sweet potatoes. One of the many flavonoids found in blue or purple colored potatoes are anthocyanins. The interest and research into anthocyanins has been growing in recent years. They are anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial and anti-cancer. They also help neutralize damaging free radicals and may reduce the risk of heart disease.
 Although blue potatoes are a good source of anthocyanins, the most abundant source of anthocyanins in the western diet is strawberries, blueberries, grapes and red wine.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Purple Carrots


Purple carrots are even higher in antioxidants than orange carrots, and they also possess anti-inflammatory properties. This could make them very useful in the treatment of arthritis. They have been found to be antiviral, antiseptic and antimicrobial, and they also contain anticarcinogens and betacarotenes. They also contain phytochemicals including carotenoids, polyacetylenes, isocoumarins, phenolics and sesquiterpenes. Phytochemicals have antioxidant, anti-bacterial, and other disease preventative and health enhancing properties...
In one study the University of Oslo in Norway found blue potatoes to have more than double the level of antioxidant rich flavonoids than either white fleshed or sweet potatoes. One of the many flavonoids found in blue or purple colored potatoes are anthocyanins. The interest and research into anthocyanins has been growing in recent years. They are anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial and anti-cancer. They also help neutralize damaging free radicals and may reduce the risk of heart disease. 










This corn I plan on growing this season.

I've already found a place to purchase Heirloom Seeds Online...









No comments:

Quotes

Show me someone who never makes a mistake and I'll show you someone who never does anything.